Monday 24 February 2014

Flowers in the mountains of Costa Rica--main subject, or supportive role?

                 I'm still at Montana Azul. All the pics you have seen here were done on site, in less than an hour for the most part. Sometimes quite a bit less than that.
                 The overpowering effect of the deep, rich colours of the mountains, tops cloaked in clouds, or sunshine. There were literally so many flowers at Montana Azul, that I started doing small studies of each little miracle. I ran out of time though. Maybe that goal will continue on throughout the year. There was just so many engaging sights that grabbed me for painting.
                 The other thing that has frustrated me is the Welcome plant. If you've been following me, you'll know that I painted this last year. There are literally SO many shades of red, pink, and purple that I found a real challenge to replicate. This is something that I usually have no problem with.
                 Another thing about all these flowers is painting them with some detail, so you can see how they are constructed as above,......or, then there are hoards of bushes, and actual trees with profusions of flowers, all providing different and specific challenges about how much details to put into your rendering. Like a figure in the foreground, mid ground, or background. So many possibilities, it's hard to choose which way to go sometimes.
                  I'm hoping some of my students will send me some pics of their work and I'll post them here too. Come on you guys, I know you are reading this. Send me your work!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment