Tuesday 17 December 2013

Moving forward

Portrait of Emily

Last week, at a studio session with this model, I finished my piece early, and took another canvas, this one 16 " X 20". I had about 20 minutes or so, and this charcoal drawing is what I got down in that time. I am able to draw this efficiently, because of years of practice. It could have been made better, if I had  been able to go to more life drawing lately. I am greatly affected in my execution, by whether I have been able to life draw, and keep things nice and loose. 
The interesting thing about this portrait, is that I brought it home, and fixed it with workable fixative. I hardly ever use fixative in my pastel work, but have used this method, where you fix your drawing, then underpaint. So I thought I'd try it on canvas, and see where it takes me. When I use this technique in pastel, there is always the possibility of pastel coming off on your fingers if you touch it. When I did the finger test on this piece, I was surprised to find that absolutely none of the charcoal came off. None. We're talking vine charcoal here people. So this is new learning for me. Trial and error. 
Later this week, I'll have another chance with this model in this pose, so I will take her back underpainted, and expect the drawing to remain completely intact. This gives the painter so much to work with. I will have the drawing, and charcoal application as at least one value, the underpainting will be assigned another value. Right now, my inclination is to underpaint a warm medium value, and then work darker and lighter than the underpainting. I don't like skin tones that exude really warm tones, and will be as sensitive or more sensitive to temperature, than I am to value. When I get to paint this. 
However, for now,... to all of you out there reading this, if you live somewhere warm, be thankful. We've been in a cold snap here in the Ottawa Valley, Canada. I don't paint in my house, ( I am affected by the oil paints fumes) yet I want the underpainting to be dry before Friday, when I will be with this model. Luckily tomorrow, the temperature outside here is suppose to go up to -9 degress celcius. That's about 4 degrees fehrenheit, for my readers to the south. For the last week, the temperature has been between -4 degrees fahreinheit, to -20, 25. Every day.     
So wish me luck. If the weather co=operates, I'll be able to underpaint, and have it dry, drawing intact. If I don't put up another post of this piece as a painting, you know that some step along the way screwed up. Always learning though. 
For those of you living in the Toronto area, I'll be teaching life drawing the week of Feb. 4-8th. Contact me for more information at margferraro@xplornet.ca 
and Stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment