Friday 8 November 2013

Artists, Architects and Artisans

Yesterday, I went down tot he National Gallery of Canada, with a students of mine, and a very knowledgeable art history buff, Anne Draper. Since we are both members of NGC, we had a first peek at this exhibit. I haven't been excited about something at NGC in a long time. But when I heard about the idea behind this exhibit, and the time period represented, I got quite interested.
          This exhibit looks at art, artisans, and architects, as well as their collaborative efforts, during the most exciting period of art and world expansion, 1890-1918. I LOVE this period of art. Not so much the architecture, but the fine art of this period, the depiction and romance of the human form in this time, and also appreciate the influence of Art Nouveau had on other art mediums- carpentry, architectural details, textiles, hand wrought metal work in functional household items and jewellery.
In the Pine Shadows, Moonlight
In the Pine Shadows, Moonlight             JEH MacDonald


          All the work in the show is Canadian, and I like the way it is set up, featuring work done in different cities. Having long admired the work of George Reid and Mary Heister Reid, I was pleased to see both of them figured prominently in the exhibit. Although a good deal of the fine art shown is from the permanent collection, these are paintings I really enjoy, including one of my favorite paintings by MacDonald, In the Pine Shadows, Moonlight. Check it out, MacDonald has captured the light that happens in the middle of the night, during full moonlight phases. I love this painting!
          Another aspect of the show that I really enjoyed is the overview of the importance of the Arts and Letters club, which formed in 1908. Indeed they talk about many art clubs during this time, but the Arts and Letters club was significant and important, as it included all art disciplines, and many important artists were members, and I'm not just talking about the group of 7.  I was excited to see so much about this club, as I only first visited this club in September with my class, In the footsteps of Tom Thompson and the Group of 7. The whole week there was exciting, but out day at the Arts and Letters club and AGO was definitely a huge highlight. The club still exists, and going strong.
              Don't miss this exciting exhibit! on til Feb. 2/2014
           

No comments:

Post a Comment