Wednesday 20 November 2013

Preparation Costa Rica 2

We booked our flights, and everyone is excited about getting to Costa Rica. In order to make the best use of our time there, I am continuing to review what skills I'll need while there. The first 4 days there, we'll be amongst the Mountains. Growing up in a fairly flat province, the first time I saw mountains sent a shiver down my spine. I've seen many since then. I am still inspired, but haven't had a lot of experience painting something so vast, until the last few years. When I look back on my work, I was a little surprised to see that I do have a few paintings, and a few different mountain ranges as well. I thought I'd share some with you today. Hopefully, before I leave for Costa Rica, I'll have painted a few more. Seeing the mountains of Costa Rica from a small low flying plane makes you feel like a national geographic photographer. Just a stunning experience.
I did this painting from a photo, not on site. The Blue Ridge Mountains of Georgia are truly beautiful colours. Not what you might think, if you really look at the colours. You have to really look!
Title-Rock and River, morning. This is a place I've been several times in the Adirondacks. I love going hiking there. My daughter Genevieve and I managed to get there this fall, and hiked Noonmark Mountain. It was a fairly easy climb paint with a fabulous view at the top. One of these times, I'm going to take a small amount of pastels, and paint at the summit. The scene you see here was early morning light, in a valley surrounded by mountains. Mountains can be quite intimidating. I found being aware of where the they are, and what space they take up in the picture plane, allows you to keep everything in perspective, and then painting them, becomes a delight, allowing one to focus on very subtle value changes, that can be quite beautiful.
These are 2 scenes from the trip I lead to Tuscany, in the summer of 2012. Definitely one the the highlights, was hiking the Cinque Terre. It was incredibly hot, and kudos to all of us for surviving the hike. In looking back, despite the heat, I think all of us have incredible memories of the hike, the towns, the farms, and the most spectacular scenery anywhere. Very dramatic, and FULL of wonder. Anyways, here are some offerings from me on Mountains. As I told Robert Genn, there is nothing more sacred than Water, Sky, and Mountains. I hope to be ready to meet the Costa Rican Mountains, with as much reverence and awe. There's still time and room to come, for anyone tempted to join us! My contact is margferraro@xplornet.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment