Monday 18 November 2013

Rich Colour in the Pyramid

On my recent trip to France,we all enjoyed having a drink at about 4 pm. in the pyramid, at Le Vieux Couvent. This is a newly renovated sun room, full of light at the retreat where I teach in southwest France. The roof is shaped like a pyramid. Late in the afternoon each day, we'd gather here for critique, art discussions, etc. It's a nice time of the day, with paintings done. Time to philosophize, light chatting, and relaxing. While in this room, I always wanted to sit in one place, where I can look at this gorgeous fabric wall hanging on a brick wall. The colours were so rich and delicious, and many. What really captivated me, was that the brick wall, met up with large windows with strong sunlight seeping in, so the sense of light on the left of this scene was quite strong. It's a fairly flat situation, but I was compelled to paint it. Here's another miniature that I did of this scene. Like many paintings I do, the main intention was to celebrate colour and light.

No comments:

Post a Comment